How to prepare for Endovenous Laser Treatment
If you have varicose veins or spider veins, you may have been offered EndoVenous Laser Treatment to get rid of your varicose veins. So how does one prepare for such procedure?
Your complete guide to EVLT/ EndoVenous Laser Treatment procedures! Part I
Going for surgery in any capacity is no small issue. You’ll want to come fully prepared and make sure that nothing (as long as it is within your control) goes wrong. This guide will take you through step by step to prepare for your EndoVenous Laser Treatment procedure so that you won’t be caught in last minute jitters.
After you have been offered the EndoVenous Laser Treatment for your varicose vein/s problem, your preparation will start the week before your scheduled surgery.
- If you are currently on blood thinner medications such as Aspirin or Warfarin, you should stop them 5-7 days before the surgery. This is so that the blood thinner gets cleared from the body and you won’t have to face significant bruising problems as well as other complications when Dr John Tan lasers off your varicose veins.
- If you’re on any diabetic medications, you should stop them on the day of fasting.
- For all other medications, you can continue them unless otherwise stated.
Fasting is a very important step to take if you opt for sedation. It’s also a good precaution to take for those who opted for local anaesthesia- in case you change your mind on the last minute. This is so that your body will not have the sudden urge to throw up whatever you have eaten for breakfast while your varicose veins are being treated.
You will be advised to fast for 4-6 hours depending on your procedure:
- If you have decided to go under local anaesthesia, you can start fasting 4 hours before surgery.
- If you want to sleep through the whole procedure via IV sedation, that’ll be an extra 2 hour of fasting for you.
- If you’re undecided or unsure, just fast for 6 hours, then discuss it with Dr John Tan on the day of surgery.
- You should also stop your intake of water 4 hours before surgery.
- You’re advised to wear comfortable and loose fitting clothes on the day of surgery because your leg/s will be wrapped up after the procedure.
- If you already a pair of compression stockings, please bring them along. If not, you can purchase one from the vein clinic on the day of surgery.
- Please refrain from driving because you may be given medications to relax or be under IV sedation. Alternatively, you could arrange someone to pick you up or simply take a cab home after the surgery.
- You are encouraged to take a shower before coming for the treatment because the next time you can clean your leg/s will have to be 48 hours after the surgery.
To be continued…
Staff of The Vein Clinic & Surgery